Saturday 21 September 2013

Holy Hogwarts…


Ordinand induction is over and I survived…

Stunning views over the Oxford Countryside from Holy Hogwarts
Holy Hogwarts was the name affectionately given to Ripon College Cuddesdon during the course of our Ordinand induction period, though not as yet sure if this is a wider shared name for the College, it does somehow more than fit. What was slightly harder to figure at this stage is just who the characters will form in to in this new adventure…




Which leads me nicely on to one of the main topics of discussion during this induction weekend, that of formation.

Our very own ‘Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore’, or as he is more affectionately known The Reverend Canon Professor Martyn Percy, our principle (who bears no resemblance in character, name or stance of course to Dumbledore) took a little time to explain this formation process.

Who we follow plus our growth in our relationship with whom we follow is our discipleship, this otherwise known as our formation process. And in following Christ we form a Christ shaped pattern in how we form.

We were then reminded of Galatians 4:19

“My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you…”

Now this took a little to get my small mind around, but the idea shared is that we do not change to form in to Christ, but Christ is formed in us..!

And if I am being absolutely honest, I am still getting my small mind around that thought.



What was easier to grasp was the idea that we need our nourishment from the scriptures, and to be attentive to the actions of God in the world.  Though interestingly it was highlighted how much harder this may be as a part-time student, which I am, to that of a full-time student.

What was incredibly reassuring, is that despite this being recognised as clearly an academic institute, though with a slightly different enrolment process, we were reminded several times that as humans we are natural people of love not study and this is something that is to be embraced as we follow our faith and journey to Ordination. There may be a fear, for some, of loosing our heart to head knowledge. There will be study time, there will be essays and there will be marks for work, but make no mistake Christ is at the centre of it all.

So it would appear that I can allay my fears that there is more to being a religious professional than tea and cucumber sandwiches.


More Tea Vicar..?

I am very excited about the people who I will be on this journey with, though we are not all taking the same route, some are part of the OMC (Oxford Ministry Course), that’s me, some are part of WEMTEC (West of England Ministerial Training Course) some are Mixed Mode and others are part of CMS (Church Mission Society). That was quite a mix when you consider there were just 22 of us! But it was yet more confirmation as to the reason I chose Ripon College Cuddesdon in the first place, diversity and breadth of learning.

Let formation commence… 

My Fellow ordinands.


No comments:

Post a Comment